Top Dragon Names (Epic List of 300 Ideas for 2022)
Looking for dragon names? We have been fascinated by dragons for a long time, and dragon mythology is prevalent in many civilizations. When we think about dragons, we picture enchantment and adventure. Dragons fascinated us as a child. We like looking at the large collection of model dragons we owned. The appearance of dragons varies depending on the culture, yet they are universal.
In this article, we have compiled a list of dragon names that you will be thrilled to read about. Let's get into it now!
Famous male dragon names
- Fin Fang Foom: The dragon is from Marvel comics. The dragon's name signifies that "His back touches the sun, and his limbs smash the mountains".
- Charizard: Charizard, also known as Lizardon in Japan, is a dual-type Fire/Flying Pokémon that was first released in Generation I. Charizard is a mixture of the words "lizard" and "charcoal."
- Draco/Drake: Drake and Draco are both Greek words for "dragon." Dracul, which is Romanian for "dragon" or "the Devil."
- Tyson: This name translates to "fierce-tempered."
- Smokey: The meaning of the name Smokey is "Soul of fire" and it has English origins.
- Pyre: A pyre, often called a funeral pyre, is a building that is typically made of wood and used to burn a body as part of a funeral ceremony or execution.
- Shenron: Shenron is a mystical Dragon from the DragonBall series. He is frequently referred to as the "Eternal Dragon" in the Dragon Ball English dub, and he is referred to as the "Dragon God" in the early 1980s Harmony Gold Dragon Ball English dub.
Female dragon names
- Sisu: From Raya and the Last Dragon, Sisu is the water dragon. She is amusing, gentle, and amiable. Long, silvery-violet-coloured hair characterises her human form.
- Saphira: Saphira is the gentle blue female dragon that Eragon rides in the Eragon book series by Christopher Paolini.
- Dragon: Shrek's enormous dragon, which is tinted ruby. Despite being introduced as the bad person, she ends up making friends with the heroes and falling for the chatty Donkey. Even their half-dragon, half-donkey kids are introduced in one of the later movies.
- Aithusa: Merlin in the BBC television series spawned a tiny, white dragon. Her healing abilities are strong.
- Vermithrax Pejorative: The antagonist of Dragonslayer, a dark fantasy movie. She strikes the standard deal with a kingdom: if you offer virgins to me, I'll promise not to pillage your territory. It is later discovered that she did this to provide for her kids.
- Siveth: A key figure in Dragonheart: Vengeance. A Wallachian-bound white and silver dragon. She finally develops a bond with a man named Darius and teaches him the true meaning of friendship and love.
Cool dragon names
- Nāga: Although the word "naga" literally means "snake" in Sanskrit, it is more commonly used in Java to allude to a serpent deity that is linked to fertility and water.
- Kaida: The name Kaida, which is of Japanese origin and means “Little Dragon,” is typically given to females.
- Typhon: In Greek mythology, Typhon, also known as Typhaon or Typhoeus, was the youngest child of Tartarus (of the nether world) and Gaea (Earth).
- Tatsu: A Japanese dragon, commonly referred to as ry or Tatsu ("dragon"), is a national legendary creature.
- Glaurung: Originating in Tolkien's Middle-Earth is the Glaurung. It is the term given to a trickster dragon with no wings that breathes fire and goes by the names "The Deceiver" and "Father of Dragons." He was killed by Trin, according to legend.
- Cadmus: This name translates to "dragon teeth" in Greek.
How to train your dragon names
- Hobgobblers: In How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, the Hobgobblers are introduced. They are very destructive yet charming at the same time. With their beautiful underbite and snaggle teeth, they eat anything and everything that is in their way.
- Red Death: Having three sets of eyes, the Red Death is a large dragon. It is considerably bigger than other dragons and doesn't go hunting by itself. The Red Death, on the other hand, serves as the head of a bigger nest of dragons, to which all the smaller dragons bring food as a kind of respect. It has the power to command and gather other dragons.
- Stormcutter: The four wings of the Stormcutter dragon, which form an X when flying, help it to manoeuvre through the air with ease. While in the air, these dragons are capable of doing remarkable acrobatic feats and risky moves. They can also exhale flames while spinning fire tornadoes with their wings. Stormcutter Cloudjumper belongs to Valka.
- Rumblehorn: The face of the Rumblehorn is adorned with a large spike that juts outward and resembles the rhinoceros' horn in certain ways. They can follow prey over great distances by scent alone thanks to their keen sense of smell. Despite their bulk and agility, Rumblehorn frequently attacks by slamming into objects. Known as Skullcrusher, Stoick the Vast Rumblehorn.
- Bewilderbeast: The Bewilderbeast is the largest and most uncommon breed of dragon. They can communicate with and exert control over other dragons. Additionally, Bewilderbeasts do not spit fire, but rather have the ability to instantly freeze water as it leaves their mouth, resulting in devastating ice strikes. They build themselves enormous nests out of this ice as well.
- Night Fury: The wicked children of lightning and death themselves are thought to be the Night Furies. These deadly dragons, which are jet black and can launch devastating dive bomb attacks on Viking villages, blend in with the night sky. Unlike the majority of other dragons, they unleash plasma bursts instead of fire.
Ice dragon names
- Olwen: The name Olwen means "white footprint" or "white trail." The name Olwen derives from the Welsh language.
- Eira: Eira means snow and mercy. Eira is a Welsh name for a girl. Eira, which means "snow" in Welsh, was influenced by welsh nature's beauty.
- Eirwen: Eirwen is a Welsh name that means "white/blessed snow." It is derived from the Welsh terms "Eira" (snow) & "Gwyn" (blessing, white and fair).
- Yukio: Yukio is a Japanese name meaning “snow boy”. Depending upon what kanji is used to write it, this name can have several meanings. Yukio also translates to "lucky boy," which is also one of the prevalent meanings.
- Alba: A name derived from the latin language that means "white." The name means "sunrise" or "dawn" in Spanish and Italian, and it is a unisex name.
- Lumi: Lumi is a Finnish forename that means "snow."
- Finola: The name Finola comes from the Irish mythology of the Finnguala, the daughter of Lir of the Tuatha Dé Danann, and means "white shoulders." Fenella is the transliterated form of the name. In modern Ireland, the abbreviated variant Nuala is often used as a first name.
- Colden: Colden is a name of Old English etymology, and its meaning is "dark or cold valley." Colden derives from the Old English words "cald" (cold/charcoal) and "denu" (valley).
Fire dragon names
- Fafnir: Fafnir is a dwarf who changed into a dragon by drinking magical water in Norse mythology and is often symbolized by greed.
- Ladon: Ladon the most well-known dragon in Greek mythology, was a dragon with a hundred heads who protected the golden apples inside the Garden of Hesperides.
- Blaze: It means "stutters" in English and denotes a fiery personality, making it an appropriate name for a fire-breathing dragon.
- Xiuhcoatl: "It is known as the weapon of destruction and the fire serpent." This Aztec word alludes to a snake-like monster.
- Glaurung: "In J.R.R. Tolkien's The Children of Hrin and The Silmarillion, this is the name of a wingless, fire-breathing dragon renowned as 'The Deceiver' as well as 'Father of the Dragons.'
- Vritra: This name is derived from a dragon that signifies drought in Hindu mythology. Vritra, also known as "Ahi," in Vedic religion (Hindu mythology) is a serpent demon dragon also known as Asura.
Cute dragon names
- Ord: Ord is a charming turquoise dragon from the animated series Dragon Tales. Ord is a huge, strong, and quick dragon who can also be ticklish at times. When Ord gets terrified, he becomes invisible. Ord makes mistakes regularly, yet he never complains.
- Sisu: Sisudatu, or Sisu, is the deuteragonist dragon in the Disney film Raya and the Last Dragon in which Sisu is a self-deprecating and humorous water dragon who believes one can be trusted to unite.
- Mushu: Mushu is a fast-talking, pint-sized, self-absorbed Chinese dragon that appears in the Disney animated film Mulan as a self-appointed guardian of Fa Mulan.
- Falkor: Falkor is a Fortune Dragon from Fantasia that appears in the Neverending Story. He is highly smart, tremendously optimistic, dignified, and a very friendly sophisticated being. Falkor has a 43-foot-long beautiful extended physique covered in white soft fur on the full length of his body. He also has beautifully formed paws and tails.
- Knucker: In Sussex, England, a type of water dragon was known as a Knucker. The term is derived from the Old English word "nicor," which means "water monster" and appears in the poem Beowulf.
Dragon Ball Z names
- Super Shenron: The Gods' Dragon Super Shenron arrives or is summoned only when Super Dragon Balls are collected and put together. Super Shenron is a brilliant yellow with a golden tone on his body, with bright crimson eyes, enormous bat wingspan rather than the feathery ones seen in the species he was derived from, no legs, and spikes surrounding his tail.
- Shenron: Shenron, like other known Eternal Chinese Dragons, has brown antlers, sharp fangs, green scaly skin, red eyes, a great serpentine body comprising primarily tail, long and wavy whiskers, a large nose, crescent-shaped nostrils, and floating green hair on his cheeks. Shenron is a rational creature who grants every request within his power, regardless of the motive of the want or the character of the summoner, even wicked entities.
- Black smoke Shenron: In the Dragon Balls series, Black Smoke Shenron is a wicked, eternal dragon summoned from the Crack Dragon Balls. The evil power that's been used to create Black Smoke Shenron is also reflected in his demeanour. While Shenron was polite and talked correctly, Black Smoke Shenron is rude and disrespectful to those who summoned him.
- Porunga: Porunga is Planet Namek's wish-granting dragon. In Namekian, his translates to "Dragon of Dreams" or "Dragon of Law." Porunga has a significantly more rugged appearance than Shenron, with a highly muscled upper torso. Porunga looks to be more alligator-like, resembling the Naga, a group of snake deities from Hindu and Buddhist mythology. Instead of legs, it has a long green slithery tail. Porunga, like Shenron, has a nice heart, but like a dragon, he has wrath and can become irritable at times. He is revealed to have a sly sense of humour.
- Ultimate Shenron: Ultimate Shernon is the Dragon Ball series' third immortal dragon. Ultimate Shenron, like Shenron and Porunga, can only be summoned by utilising a certain set of Dragon Balls, in this case, the Black Star Dragon Balls. While Shenron and Porunga are both depicted as being the size of a massive building, Ultimate Shenron is depicted as being greater than both of these everlasting dragons together.
- Shadow dragons: The dragons made by Black Smoke Shenron
- Syn Shenron: Mr Popo's request resulted in the creation of Syn Shenron, the One-Star Shadow Dragon.
- Haze Shenron: The Two-Star Dragon was produced by Goku's desire to resurrect Bora. Has the ability to pollute.
- Eiss Shenron: The Three-Star Dragon was produced by either resurrecting King Piccolo's victims (in the anime) or wiping memories of Majin Buu's rampage.
- Nuova Shenron: The Four-Star Dragon was formed as a result of King Piccolo's yearning for Eternal Youth. Has the ability to use fire and heat.
- Rage Shenron: Master Roshi's ambition to resurrect Goku after he was slain to use the Entire Special Beam Cannon with Piccolo to kill his brother Raditz inspired the creation of the Five-Star Dragon. With his Electric Slime, he can absorb electricity.
- Oceanus Shenron: Oolong's hope for Panties to halt Emperor Pilaf's goal to control the world resulted in the creation of the Six-Star Dragon. The only female Shadows Dragon and Shenron are known to exist. She possesses the capacity to control air and wind.
- Naturon Shenron: The Seven-Star Dragon was born by Majin Vegeta and the Organisation of Babidi's desire to resurrect the innocent people of the Majin Buu battle. Contains the component of Earth and can absorb energy to strengthen its power.
Red dragons Names
- Almandine: A name of English origin that means "deep-red garnet"; a fitting name for a leader.
- Moonga: A name of Indian origin that means "red coral"; a lovely name for a lovely dragon.
- Garnet: This name is of English origin and means "dark red jewel." It represents life power.
- Ruby: Another lovely female dragon name with the English meaning of "a deep-red valuable stone."
- Rubellite: A Singhalese name that means "red tourmaline"; this is an excellent choice for a strong-willed female dragon.
- Adamek: A mythical name originated from the Hebrew language that means "son of the red earth";
- Edom: Only a huge red dragon is worthy of its Hebrew origin name, which means "red."
Black Dragon names
- Dalinda: A medieval English name that means "a noble serpent."
- Kaliyah: A name of Indian origin that means "slayer of a thousand-headed dragon."
- Tatsuo: Name of Chinese origin that means "a female dragon with a powerful spirit."
- Egan: A name originated from the Gaelic language that means "fire." It is an excellent moniker for inquisitive beings.
- Pendragon: The English name means "principal dragon." The name is derived from King Arthur Pendragon, a historical hero noted for his bravery and tenacity.
- Evren: A Sumerian word that means "giant snakes emitting flames from their tail."
Blue Dragon names
- Heldras: which means "defeator of the sea."
- Mysom: A European name that means "protector and caregiver of the helpless."
- Sarsoannoth: A Gaelic term for a leviathan beast.
- Tolraq: A Persian names allude to the Dragon Lord.
- Iymrith: A name derived from the famous board game Dungeons and Dragons that refers to a massive snake who commands and defends an army.
- Vuma: An African name that means "ruler of the vast heavens."
- Xevoa: The name is derived from African languages and means "the fast and crafty one."
- Azure: Azure Dragon, sometimes known as Blue Dragon, is one of the Four Dragon Kings of Chinese mythology. Dragon God Azure is, commonly known as Qinglong in Chinese.
Bearded dragon names
- Smaug: The dreadful dragon from Lord of the Rings. A ferocious and ominous bearded dragon
- Rex: This was the moniker of the giant Tyrannosaurus, which meant "king" in English.
- Caesar: The renowned Roman ruler's name
- Gorn: An iconic lizard creature, a character from Star Trek.
- Viggo: A powerful name fit for your fierce bearded dragon.
- Zurden: Zurden, which means "scary one," is an appropriate rough term for a bearded dragon.
White dragon names
- Cadmus: A Greek name that means "the cold teeth of dragons."
- Tanwen: A name of Welsh origin that means "white fire."
- Tiamat: A Babylonian name that means "personification of the cold sea."
- Oboth: A Biblical name that signifies "personality who lives in harmony and balance."
- Melly: A name of Greek and French origin that means "bravery and originality."
- Druk: A name from Bhutanese mythology that means "Thunder Dragon."
- Irad: An Israeli name that means "an imperial dragon."
- Ju-long: A Chinese term that means "a strong dragon."
- Khuzaimah: The Arabic term for "the Elba Dragon Tree."
- Doryu: A Buddhist phrase that means "one who knows the ways of a dragon."
Harry Potter Dragon Names
- Chinese Fireball: The Chinese Fireball, also known as the Liondragon, possessed the ability to discharge spheres of flames from its nostrils, as the name indicates. This dragon was native to China and was employed in the Triwizard Tournament's First Task.
- Hungarian Horntail: The dragon breed peculiar to Hungary resembled a lizard, having black scales and golden eyes. Hungarian Horntails were notorious for their ferocity, thanks to their bronze antlers and flames that could extend up to 50 feet.
- Norwegian Ridgeback: The Norwegian Ridgeback resembles the Hungarian Horntail, but it has a black ridge on its back and is less violent. In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Hagrid was handed a Norwegian Ridgeback egg. When it hatched, Hagrid called it Norbert and enlisted the help of Harry, Ron, and Hermione in rearing the creature.
- Antipodean Opaleye: The Antipodean Opaleye possessed pearly scales that made it one of the most attractive dragon breeds. Unless it's looking for food, the breed isn't known to be aggressive. A male Opaleye journeyed to Australia in the 1970s after being thrown out of the region, according to Newt Scamander's book Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and killed numerous kangaroos with its tremendous fire breath.
Powerful dragon names
- Diaval: Maleficent's loyal, strong and great servant in the Maleficent movies.
- Eborsisk: This dragon's name is derived from Willow, the two-headed fire-breathing dragon in the film.
- Apalala: In Buddhist mythology, Apalla is a water-dwelling Naga (serpent).
- Eustace Scrubb: This powerful dragon name for this dragon is taken from the movie series “The Chronicles of Narnia.”
- Ghidorah: Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster is named after the titular figure in Ghidorah.
- Apophis: A name derived from Greek origin that means "to slither."
Ancient Dragon names and their meanings
- Falak: A Persian name that means "serpent" or "dragon" in Middle Eastern mythology.
- Tianlong: It is a celestial dragon of Chinese mythology. Because tian means "heaven; the skies; sky" or "Heaven; God; gods," thus tian long means "heavenly dragon."
- Jiaolong: In English, jiao has been variably translated as "crocodile," "water dragon," "scaly dragon," and even "Kraken." Jiaolong is a dragon in Chinese mythology, frequently referred to as a "scaled dragon"; according to some historians, it is hornless and lives in rivers.
- Qiulong: Qiulong, also known as Qiu, was a Chinese dragon with contradictory definitions of "horned dragon" and "hornless dragon." Several Han Dynasty Chinese classic literature and commentaries defined "Qiu" as a "young dragon; immature dragon."
Golden Dragon Names
- Akhekh: It is an Egyptian mythological beast with a wide serpentine body.
- Drakon: the Colchian Dragon from 'Jason and the Argonauts,' a mythical fantasy film
- Kur: the very first primaeval dragon from Sumerian mythology
- Faranth: Pernese history's last gold dragon that was hatched.
- Tintaglia: a female gold dragon who is said to be the only of her species A wonderful phrase for a dragon.
- Villentretenmerth: a golden dragon, maybe the only one of his species
- Aurelius: A name originated from the Latin language that means "golden one."
- Aurembiaix: A female name originated from the Latin language that means "from the bottom golden land."
Silver dragon name
- Argyros: A term derived from Latin which means "silver."
- Arianwyn: A Welsh term that means "silver-white."
- Adalon: A female silver dragon from the "Underdark."
- Picabo: A female name of Native American origin that means "silver water."
- Airgead: The Irish unisex name means "silver." a suitable and ideal name for a silver dragon
Earth dragon names
- Dilong: "Earth dragon," one of several sorts of -long dragons, this Chinese dragon name also means "earthworm."
- Yellow Dragon: The Yellow Dragon represents the element of earth in Wuxing and the Four Symbols.
- Shenlong: Shenlong is a Chinese mythological spiritual dragon that is the ruler of storms and the bringer of rain. He is equally important as other creatures such as Tianlong, the heavenly dragon.
Name for a dragon (ideas)
- Dagahara: The name is taken from the Japanese film Rebirth of Mothra II.
- Darksmoke: The name was inspired by the dragon from Adventures of a Teenage Dragon Slayer.
- Firnen: This fascinating dragon name originates from Christopher Paolini's novel Inheritance.
- Haku: The name of the dragon was inspired by the river spirit in the 2001 film Spirited Away.
Game of thrones dragon names
- Meraxes: Queen Rhaenys mounted this dragon, which was also named for an ancient Valyrian god. During the First Dornish War, both the rider and the dragon were dead.
- Balerion the black dread: Balerion, named after an old Valyrian god, is the world's largest and most powerful dragon. His first rider was Aegon I, who was succeeded by Maegor, Aerea, and Viserys I Targaryen. He died of old age.
- Rhaegal: Named after Daenerys's elder brother, Prince Rhaegar Targaryen. Euron Greyjoy murdered Rhaegal with a scorpion arrow in 'Game of Thrones.' In the last season of the TV programme, Jon Snow, who was revealed to be Rhaegar's son and Daenerys' nephew, also rode the dragon.
Evil Dragon Names
- The Deathlord, Byron.
- The Creep, Gemma.
- The Skinny One, Under.
This ends our list of all sorts of dragon names, from movies to ancient history for you guys to read and have ideas for the future.
35+ Phone Interview Questions & Best Sample Answers
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
12+ Best Questions To Ask A Recruiter
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering "What Makes You Unique" In A Job Interview
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
250+ Ice Breaker Questions for Life
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
10 Best Answers to "What Motivates You?"
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
Answering "How Did You Hear About This Position" In An Interview
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
8 Best Thank You Emails After an Interview (Samples, Free Templates)
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing a Resignation Letter (How To Write It, Samples)
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
How to End a Letter (Example Salutations, Sign Off's)
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..