Example Sales Manager Job Description for 2022
Free sales manager job description. A sales manager is a professional in charge of managing the sales discipline for a business. The sales manager oversees the practical application of sales strategies, sales techniques, and general sales operations. Sales managers may oversee sales territories, sales quotas, and sales training for all sales associates and representatives.
Depending on the industry, a sales manager is sometimes referred to as a general sales manager or catering sales manager.
What is a Sales Manager?
A sales manager is a professional who oversees sales operations. They assist other representatives with their general sales strategy. The manager is usually responsible for other sales personnel. And provides them with guidance, direction, strategy, and the ability to create results for the companies they work for.
Managers can be found in a number of industries. From automotive to retail. And from software to general sales for any type of product or service.
Education, Training, Certifications, and Requirements
A sales manager should have some management experience. Depending on the type of manager they are going to be, working in a specific industry can be useful, too.
Education requirements for a sales manager is a high school diploma, GED, associate's degree, or a bachelor's degree. A professional who has a background in marketing, business, communications, and another related field is acceptable for this position.
On-the-job training is commonly provided for professionals. The training includes informing the manager of the products or services they are selling, how to sell them, and what expectations of the sales team the senior managers are requiring.
No certifications are required for this position.
Sales Manager Job Description Sample
Our business is seeking an experienced sales manager to oversee our sales operations. The sales manager will be in charge of our sales strategy, sales process, and general sales plan. And should hit a sales goal by working with sales workers, a regional sales manager, and other sales personnel. Our sales manager will instruct our sales staff and sales department. Managing, training, and assisting each employee in helping our company reach a sales quota.
Sales Manager Duties and Responsibilities
Sample job duties and sales manager responsibilities:
- Instruct our sales team of retail sales workers, sales associates, and regional sales managers to hit sales targets.
- Build training programs to assist our sales staff in developing their overall sales efforts and skills.
- Oversee customer complaints and find influence in sales techniques and strategies through that data.
- Track the sales performance of the sales team.
- Set sales objectives on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis.
- Oversee all sales activities by the sales team and instruct changes to be made based on performance.
- Work closely with each sales representative to gather data, insights, reporting, and information to help calibrate the sales operation.
- Understand customers’ preferences and how it should impact sales techniques, strategies, and communications of the sales team.
- Work closely with each salesperson (or "sales rep") to provide mentorship, guidance, feedback, and encouragement.
- Set sales goals with executive leaders and develop a strategic sales plan to meet annual sales quotas.
- Align with sales representatives on sales objectives and sales goals. Setting and projecting expected sales volume.
- Ability to maintain professional and technical knowledge by following market trends.
- Assist with assigning sales territories and developing annual sales quotas for those territories.
A sales manager can frequently be found in an automotive dealership. In those positions, job duties and responsibilities can change. It's best to consult the dealership owner on the objectives for the position before writing a job description.
Retail Sales Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with cashiers and other sales floor representatives to drive store sales.
- Oversee the sales floor and ensure the sales team is performing.
- Organize the sales floor based on promotions and other store sales.
- Review quarterly revenue objectives. Run revenue forecasts. And be analyzing trends in the retail space to present sales opportunities.
- Keep the revenue engine running smoothly. Use your people management skills to motivate and lead. Creating long-lasting customer relationships.
Automotive Sales Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the service team. And address customer needs with regards to their automotive requests.
- Run the trucking floor. And ensure that corporate accounts are getting handled appropriately.
- Work closely with local sales managers.
- Understand upper management goals and how they align with your direct reports on the automotive floor.
Assistant Sales Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide the manager with reporting.
- Assist with the general operations of the sales team.
- Create documents, spreadsheets, guidelines, and other collateral that assists the team.
- Be a pivotal part of leadership and lead the sales team potential.
- Play a key role in crafting sales plans. And projecting future performance of the team.
Regional Sales Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop regional sales plans that can be deployed throughout the sales team.
- Work closely with the marketing department to create marketing strategies that align with your sales goals and sales strategy.
- Align new sales initiatives to focus on lead generation.
- Have a strong business sense and acumen to lead the best sales managers.
Sales Operations Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Run reporting on the sales department.
- Create a high performance sales force.
- Develop customer relationship management techniques.
- Ensure that the company's revenue engine is healthy.
Area Sales Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Expands company's customer base through area sales management.
- Meet revenue growth targets.
- Cover specific areas with sales reps.
- Be part of implementing marketing strategies for local marketing needs.
Territory Sales Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Research sales statistics, review sales initiatives, generate leads, create a sales program, and align these goals with a strategic business plan.
- Be a high performing sales manager at all times. Practice your leadership skills to create team effort in a specific territory.
- Create a strong track record of success in your territory.
- Keep the company competitive within the territory that you manage.
Sales Manager Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Business Administration, Communications, or Marketing.
- At least 5 years of previous experience in a sales position.
- Strong communication skills, analytical skills, and influence skills.
- Previous work experience as a sales associate or sales manager preferred.
- Ability to track profit and loss statements.
Sales Manager Skills
Top candidates should have the following skills:
Additional sales associate skills and proficiencies include:
- Time Management
- Attention to Detail
- Visual Merchandising
- Customer Service
- Product Sourcing
- Product Rotation
PeakSalesRecruiting.com goes on to describe what makes a great sales manager. Saying, "A successful sales manager’s characteristics, skills, and aptitudes are different from those of a successful sales representative. In fact, most sales reps make bad managers. The key characteristics of a sales manager focus less on selling ability and more about the interpersonal skills that enable leadership."
Additionally, a great sales manager's traits include being a high achieving, ambitious, and results-oriented worker. And who is willing to be innovative while generating original solutions against new ideas. They train each salesperson to assist with customers' preferences of products, services, and other purchase details. All while focusing on being methodical and organized about the sales process.
Sales Manager Salary
According to Salary.com, the average salary of a sales manager position is $118,000 per year. With the top percentile of workers earning $160,000 per year. And entry-level workers earning $86,000 per year.
Sales Manager Job Boards
Below are the best job boards to post a sales manager job description and job advertisement. These "niche" job boards are where a higher caliber of candidates and job applicants might start their journey. Applicants who use "niche" job boards often have more passion for their work and a desire to advance themselves in their careers.
Top job boards for sales manager job advertisements
Tip: Employers should post job advertisements on a job board that is specific to the industry. Do so before posting on major job boards like Indeed or Monster. This can attract a job seeker that has a strong passion for the industry and career advancement. As an employer, waiting to receive job applications from sales associate job boards can ensure high-quality candidates. Once all the candidates have been vetted, try posting the job advertisement on major job boards like Zippia, Indeed, Monster, Dice.com, and more.
Download the free sales manager job description PDF template. And use the sample sales manager job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Sales Manager Job Description Template
Download our job description template in Word or PDF format. Instant download. No email required.Download Template
All job descriptions
35+ Phone Interview Questions & Best Sample Answers
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
12+ Best Questions To Ask A Recruiter
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering "What Makes You Unique" In A Job Interview
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
250+ Ice Breaker Questions for Life
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
10 Best Answers to "What Motivates You?"
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
Answering "How Did You Hear About This Position" In An Interview
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
8 Best Thank You Emails After an Interview (Samples, Free Templates)
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing a Resignation Letter (How To Write It, Samples)
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
How to End a Letter (Example Salutations, Sign Off's)
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..