Example Home Health Aide Job Description (2022)
Free home health aide job description. A home health aide is a medical professional who cares for those with disabilities, chronic illness, cognitive impairment, or age-related problems. The patients that a home health aide supports the desire to stay living in their own homes. Home health aides are considered health care paraprofessionals and require meeting state-set training requirements. It’s not uncommon for a home health aide to live with the patient or care recipient.
The home health aide is responsible for routine chores and regular care. Especially when the patient can no longer manage these duties independently (general home health care). This includes handling laundry, cooking, shopping, and other assistive duties.
A home health aide (an “HHA”) sometimes gets referred to as a personal care aide, home care aide, or home health care aide. A personal care aide has varying degrees of responsibility.
Home Health Aide Job Description Sample
Our family and home are looking for a skilled home health aide who can assist an elderly patient. The home health aide will practice overseeing regular living and daily living activities (ADL’s). The ideal candidate is a compassionate, warm, caring, and patient caregiver who has previous experience working with the elderly and older adults. We are seeking to hire for this position immediately. The home health aide is responsible for the general patient condition and ensures a healthy, clean, comfortable living space through quality patient care.
Home Health Aide Duties and Responsibilities
Sample job duties and home health aide responsibilities include:
- Assist patients with general home care. Including laundry, dishwashing, cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping, assisting with bill pay, and more.
- Check patient’s vital signs on a regular basis.
- Assist with daily living activities (ADL’s).
- Observe and report a patient’s daily conditions.
- Keep up with in-service training.
- Work closely with a nurse, personal care aide, a CNA, nursing aide (or nurse aid), nursing assistant, and other care professionals. Provide ongoing support and care to the patient.
- Assists patients with all daily activities, including bathing and bathroom requirements (personal hygiene) if necessary.
- Keep track of a care plan, follow the care plan, and ensure the patient is comfortable.
- If a CNA or registered nurse: Administer medication when required.
School Home Health Aide Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with the collection and maintenance of health records and data.
- Perform clerical duties such as data entry, duplicating, filing, and medical record organizing. As well as preparing files, folders, rosters, emergency cards, health protocols, etc. utilizing appropriate technology.
- Provides first aid assistance to the student body.
- Assists with vision and hearing screening and other screening as directed: i.e. inspection for pediculosis when indicated.
A personal care aide performs a companion's tasks while having passed the training requirements. This includes 100 hours of clinical experience.
A certified nursing assistant may perform this job function. Being able to administer medications. The certified nursing assistant can perform small medical procedures such as basic wound care and handling catheters. Must have completed 75 hours of training and meet federal requirements, including 16 hours of clinical training.
Home Health Aide Requirements
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High school diploma required.
- Reliable transportation required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Must be able to provide personal and professional references.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
- Completed home health aide training (formal training) as dictated by the state.
- National Association for Care and Hospice (NAHC) certification a plus.
- Certified home health aide a plus (Home Health Aide Certification).
- Completed the home health aide competency evaluation.
Home Health Aide Salary
According to PayScale.com, a home health aide worker earns roughly $11.17 per hour, on average. It’s common for a home health aide to be paid hourly rather than on a salary basis. A home health aide can be found living with the patient, in which case alternative compensation methods can be determined.
Home Health Aide Skills
Top candidates have one or more of the following skills:
- Compassion skills.
- Planning skills.
- Physical stamina.
- Verbal communication skills.
- Written communication skills.
- Administrative skills.
Home Health Aide Job Boards
Employers and families are suggested to search for a home health aide through smaller job boards. Or local job boards rather than using national ones like Indeed or Monster. Since most positions get filled on a local level, it’s advisable to search for a home health aide through a community bulletin board. Or Facebook group.
Top home health aide job boards
Related job descriptions
Download the free home health aide job description PDF template. And use the sample home health aide job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Home Health Aide Job Description Template
Download our job description template in Word or PDF format. Instant download. No email required.Download Template
All job descriptions
35+ Phone Interview Questions & Best Sample Answers
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
12+ Best Questions To Ask A Recruiter
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering "What Makes You Unique" In A Job Interview
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
250+ Ice Breaker Questions for Life
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
10 Best Answers to "What Motivates You?"
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
Answering "How Did You Hear About This Position" In An Interview
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
8 Best Thank You Emails After an Interview (Samples, Free Templates)
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing a Resignation Letter (How To Write It, Samples)
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
How to End a Letter (Example Salutations, Sign Off's)
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..